Sunday, May 18, 2008

Ode to Blind Tasting

I recently completed a Sommelier Course that included a great piece on blind tasting and using a systematic approach to review wines. Coming from a computer background I am the first to tell you that anything can be broken down into a "system" if you try, but this approach was well presented and allowed for a new experience for me in the wine world; having 75 people in one room looking at the same wine without any pre-conceived notions about it.

Without the bottle to look at, without your frame of reference as to where you purchased it, without your normal peer group to influence you, the reality brought you home with exactly what your senses could tell you and thereafter, what your mind tied it back to.

One wine took me back to a medicine cabinet in the Nurse's office at elementary school, another made me think of a banana peel and the time I tried to see if I could get my sister to slip on it just like I had seen in many cartoons. ;) By bringing the blind aspect into the wine tasting experience it made my senses flex and reach back into my personal history to allow for a frame of reference.

Next time you want a challenge, get 3 friends to each bring a bottle for a round table tasting, four different wines, put them in the bags and try the tasting blind... use a simple and honest approach (As my training would attest I prefer the Court of Master Sommelier's, http://www.mastersommeliers.org/), but whatever your approach just make sure that you allow objectivity and the time to review the look, smell, taste and essence of the wine.

I am putting this on my list of things to do during the next month and if anyone else in the Kansas City area would like to join me, please drop me a line and I will let you know where the group is going to put down our roots.

All my best,

Christopher J. Cribb, CSW
GM - Marquee Artisan Wines
cjcribb@marquee.com

No comments: